All tours and activities
- Check our location and please don’t be late. There are no refunds if we leave without you. If you are lost, call us on any of these numbers:
084 245 2490 * 082 475 8767 * 062 919 3692
- Ask any questions!
- There is limited or no connectivity in the Dome Bergland
- Your car needs reasonable clearance for corrugated roads
- Self-cater your refreshments and snacks. Have spare water.
- Bring binoculars, camera.
- Weather can be changeable, come prepared for wind, rain, heat, cold
- Wear sunscreen and a hat, good walking shoes.
- There are quaint country places for refreshments and meals, to your account
- Bring cash for an expenses (see extras below)
- We are not responsible for inconvenience, loss or accidents.
- Make sure you have a full tank and a spare wheel.
- There are no garages once we are on tour
- The halfday tour is mainly on tar and fairly good gravel, but a car needs clearance for corrugations. Distance around 60km,
- If your car has low clearance, discuss using our 4×4 with driver
- The full day tour is rougher and a bakkie, SUV or 4×4 is best. Distance up to 130km.
- We use 4×4 for certain optional offroad site visits which are costed in if you choose to go there
- Extras: On archaeology, history and battlefields tours the cost of entry to private properties is passed on to tour members
- We cannot guarantee the time the tours end, due to roads and weather
- All of the above applies
- These tours may take 1, 2 or 3 days and we arrange additional accommodation
- Based on your interests we choose certain wars and events for site visits
- We discuss transport and vehicles to ensure that we can reach sites
Archaeology, history and cultures
- All of the above applies.
- Tell us what interests you. The subjects are vast and we need to be selective.
- Some sites may be inaccessible, overgrown or vandalised
- No samples may be taken, only photos.
- We can usually provide copies of research papers online
- Short hikes of an hour two are done from Otters Haunt
- Halfday and fullday hikes may involve driving to venues.
- If there are extra access fees those are to the hikers’ account.
- Overnight hikes and journeys may involve camping, staying in B&B or returning to Otters Haunt for the night. Discuss with us.
- Detailed briefings are provided for backpacking.
Rafting & canoeing
- The Dome Drift involves a few easy but exciting rapids but covers mainly long flowing pools. No experience required. Ages 6-80.
- Canoeing on the Vaal is down long placid stretched between islands.
- Detailed briefings about what to wear and expect are provided on our Riverman website.